So the lovely Danielle of “My life in Sin”http://mylifeinsin.blogspot.fr/ has nominated me for the Liebster (German for “Favourite”) blog award which is an opportunity for up and coming new bloggers who have less than 200 followers to gain a wider audience and to nominate their fellow bloggers as recipients of the award as well.
You have to answer the 11 questions posed to you by your nominee as well as post 11 random facts about yourself. In turn, you then nominate 5 other blogs you feel should reach wider attention and ask them a new set of questions and so it continues…
I suppose I should start with
11 facts about myself
1. Singapore is the 3rd country I have lived in over the past 18 months. Previously I spent 3 months in Kuwait and 15 months in Lebanon.
2. In spite of the fact I am in the hospitality industry it is very rare that my fridge should ever contain more than say Gin, Campari and Diet Coke as I prefer to eat out than cook for one.
3. I do love cooking however, with admittedly varied results. On recent trips back to the UK it has been down to my sister to help steer my dinner parties back on course after I have enjoyed one too many preprandial beverages!
4. I got bitten by a Catfish (!!) on holiday in Langkawi, necessitating two trips to A&E and culminating in literally the entire Langkawi fire brigade being present for and assisting in cutting my (Tiffany) ring off my swollen finger. Thank God for morphine.
5. My favourite perfume to wear is Elie Saab, I absolutely love the subtle Lebanese scents and the wonderful memories it invokes of my time in Beirut.
6. My favourite perfume to smell is Chanel No5. My mother wore it (well still does) when I was a child and I remember thinking she was just the most glamorous women in the world when she got dressed to go out. The smell never fails to comfort me when I’m down and whenever I smell it I think of her.
7. My two best friends are both pregnant, one is due any week now and the other in March. I’m hoping I’ll be a cool auntie 🙂
8. I speak French (admittedly with less and less fluency) and can order a beer or a coffee and argue about the price of a taxi say in a few more languages including Arabic and Spanish.
9. I am the oldest of 3 siblings, which explains in part why I am so bossy! My sister turns 30 next year, my brother just turned 26.
10. I went to Burning Man a few years ago and it was absolutely the most incredible week I have ever experienced. The people you meet in the desert, hundreds of miles from anywhere else are an amazing bunch of people and being truly self-sufficient with no use for money or communication with the outside world is something everyone should try if they want to learn more about themselves.
11. I am planning trips to Penang, Japan, Cambodia and Vietnam for the first few months of next year as I have travelled so little since arriving in Singapore.
The 11 Questions Danielle gave me to be answered
1. What is your favourite thing about the place that you live in?
That is a tough one. There are plenty of things I enjoy about Singapore but I am not sure what my all time favourite would be – maybe the amazing value and variety of local food and hawker centres? Yes I suppose that would be it. A great meal for less than $5 – whats not to love?
2. If you could be an animal what would it be and why?
Argghhh! These are hard. I like the idea of being able to fly so maybe a bird?
3. If you could eat only one type of cuisine for the rest of your life (i.e Thai or Italian) what would it be?
I love all sorts of different cuisines, French, Italian, Thai, Singapore, Japanese etc but I think if I had to pick one it would be Lebanese or Middle Eastern if I can get away
with being that vague. All the lovely mezzes etc would be perfect and I’d never
4.What is your one place you love so much you actually wouldn’t want to share it with people?
I’d go with Burning Man – so Black Rock Desert, Nevada. It’s not that I wouldn’t want to share it, there are 50,000 people there that week after all but I would like to stop it from growing too much and becoming commercialised as that would be a shame and would be completely against their principles.
5. What is your favourite song and why?
Things like my favourite song change all the time. Maybe “No woman, No cry” as it reminds me of an amazing week in the Bekaa with someone I was madly in love with.
6. Do you have any odd fears (e.g mine is those statue people., the ones with the metallic faces)
Cockroaches and Rats but i hardly think they are odd. Oh and I get really freaked out by mayonnaise or ketchup getting on my hands ( I refuse to eat either) as the texture grosses me out (Ok so that is admittedly a bit odd!)
7. What is your favourite thing that you own?
I’m not that into possessions, I came to Singapore with one suitcase and I never know what I want if people ask me for advice on buying a present. Probably my laptop as I can keep in touch with my loved ones and store photos etc of them on it.
8. Tell me your best joke
I am almost laughably unfunny. I have no comic timing whatsoever and can almost always be relied upon to mess up the punchline of a joke. Ummmmm ok , lets give it a shot….
Why did the Mexican push his wife off the cliff?
9. Cats or Dogs or something else?
Both, but I am trying to fight off the temptation to buy a cat (it would be cruel with the hours I work and the shoebox I live in) as I am scared I will turn into one of those crazy cat ladies. Eventually I’d like to own both though.
10. What small, seemingly insignificant thing makes you happy
A baby giggling is very cute and can always put a smile on my face (damned body clock!)
11. What is the one “old fashioned” thing you would like to see make a come back?
Manners. You see them less and less these days and it saddens me.
EDIT!!!!! The extremely lovey Elaine of http://lainelee.wordpress.com/ has also nominated me so here are my answers to her questions……
My 11 questions for those nominated:
1) What’s your favourite spot in your home?
My bed 🙂
2) What do you love about your mom and what do you love about your dad?
WOW! Where do I start? I literally cannot even begin to go into this – I am incredibly lucky in that I comme from an amazingly happy family, I truly don’t believe they could love me anymore, nor I them. My Mum is just the most warm, loving and most selfless person you could ever meet, I am embarrassed by my selfishness in comparison and if I am even 10% of the Mum she has been to be I know my (future) children will be very lucky indeed. My Dad is also just amazing – he is climbing Mount Kilamanjaro next year (aged 59) for charity, I used to love it when I would be sent on errands with him as a kid (as the oldest child) because it was so fun – we have never quite caused a riot but as we get older the likelihood of this gets more possible!
3) What is the one thing you like about your body?
URRGGHHH not much. I like eating I like drinking and I am lazyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Theres no point in hating my appearance – i could change my weight if I was THAT bothered but it is not appealing to me for sure. No time for self pity or sympathy votes but I really couldn’t give you anything apart from the fact that I am a woman and HOPEFULLY one day I will be able to be a mum so that’s kinda amazing 🙂
4) If you had a perfect day what would it be like?
JEEEZ!!! I thought Danielles questions were hard! I’m not sure perfection exists, there’s more fun in the flaws right? Needless to say it would involve my family, friends, great food, great drinks and good weather!
5) What goals do you have for 2013?
To make it to 2014!!!! Umm no seriously I want a promotion at work…who knows, lets see – if I don’t think I’m worth it no one will right?
6) Complete the following: If I won a million dollars…
I would settle my debts and those of my brother and sister (uni loans) and take as many of my loved ones as possible on the holiday of a lifetime. The rest will be donated to a few charities including Help for Heroes (who my father is climbing Kilimanjaro for)
7) Who inspires you?
I am constantly inspired by people, I am always trying to better myself (with little success I know) but I do try – Malala, the Pakistani girl who was nearly killed by the Taliban is a most recent one….
8) Your favourite food where you are living now
Seriously??!!! One food in Singapore?? Wow. Ummmmmm, Ouufffff that is really hard. No I can’t do it – does Kopi count?!
9) Morning or night person
10) What book are you currently reading?
“The Widow Clicqot” by Tilar Mazzeo – but it was a christmas present which I opened early so shhhhhhhhhh
11) Do you like to cook?
I love it but Singaporean appartements are not equipped for it sadly – also hate cooking for one, I like to entertain!
My Blog nominees (apologies if any of you have more than 200 followers – not sure how to check that!)
My 11 questions to be answered
1. John, Paul, George or Ringo?
2. Favourite cocktail?
3. What would your death row last meal be?
4. Favourite place in the world?
5. What would your superpower be?
6. Favourite family recipe?
7. Who would be your top dinner party guest – living or dead? You can invite anyone.
8. Favourite film?
9. Happiest memory?
10. Where do you most want to visit in the world and why?
11. What would you put into a time capsule to be opened in 100 years?
I have also been nominated for the expat blog awards – please take the time to visit the expatblogs website http://www.expatsblog.com/blogs/singapore and don’t forget to leave a comment on my blog! Thanks again for the nominations!